My Favorite Five Le Creuset Dutch Oven Recipes

My Dutch oven is one of my most valuable assets in the kitchen. I use it all year long, slightly more in the colder months. With my Dutch oven I prepare soups, stews, risottos and even bread. Of all the cookware in my kitchen this is the one I use almost every day. I have several Dutch ovens (of different dimensions, colors and manufacturers) and recently I bought a new Le Creuset Dutch oven (7-1/4 quart) and I made several dishes so far. Here is a list of my top 5 Le Creuset Dutch oven dishes. All these dishes require slow cooking on a medium to low heat setting. Here they are:

Enameled Cast Iron Cookware

1. The No-Knead Bread: I'm absolutely delighted by this bread recipe. It's very easy to make and you get a loaf of light bread with a crusty crust. This is a hands-off recipe so your kitchen won't get messy afterwards. You just mix 3 cups of all-purpose or bread flour, some instant yeast, some salt and warm water (1 ½ cup). You mix it and leave it to rest for a while (12 to 18 hours). When the resting is over sprinkle with flour and fold the ends of the dough toward the center, leave it to rest for an hour and then place it in your Dutch oven, that you previously have heated in your oven at 450 F. Bake for 30 minutes with the lid on, and then uncover it and bake for another 15 - 30 minutes. And here is your fresh baked bread.

Enameled Cast Iron Cookware

2. Minestrone: the minestrone or vegetable soup is one of my favorite light dishes. It's a great all year long dish because, depending on the fresh vegetables available on your local market, you can make a winter or summer vegetable soup. In my summer minestrone I use fresh carrots, peas, tomatoes, corn, spinach, green beans and cauliflower. My winter variation is heavier. I use again carrots, potatoes, beans, celery, leek or cabbage. Even though I prefer fresh vegetables I sometimes use the frozen ones. The minestrone is great when you are on a diet because it's low calories. I add some olive oil when the minestrone is already cooked for some additional taste.

3. Stuffed artichokes: This is a great summer dish and it's a great appetizer. This is a very easy recipe you just have to mix a cup of bread crumbs (not fresh but dry), chopped garlic and parsley, olive oil and parmesan cheese. Stuff the artichokes with the mixture. Before you do this cut of the artichoke's pointed tops of the leaves and the stems. Place the stuffed artichokes in the Dutch oven and add enough water to cover the artichokes halfway. This recipe requires a higher heat setting in the beginning before you bring to boil the artichokes, then lower the heat and cook for one hour. I use the same mixture for stuffing tomatoes as well (just cut the tomatoes in half, take the seed out and add the stuffing).

4. Lentils and bean soup: This is a great winter dish that will warm you on the cold days. This is one of my favorite soups. You just cook the lentils and beans with smoked meat and celery. You can add a whole potato for density and a carrot for additional taste (and color). Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with chopped parsley when it's over and you can add some olive oil as well. The Dutch ovens are ideal for making lentil soups because they use medium or low temperatures, preventing the lentils from overcooking.

5. Spinach risotto: this is definitely one of my all time favorites. I usually make it using fresh spinach but you can use the frozen one as well. I use the following ingredients: butter, pancetta, onion, garlic, Arborio rice, spinach, Parmesan cheese, white wine and chicken stock. You warm the butter and fry 1/ cup of chopped onions. When the onions are golden add 1/4 lb. smoked pancetta, fry it for a while (without burning it) and add a cup of rice. Afterwards add the wine, let it evaporate and then add 1/4 chopped fresh spinach and the chicken stock, salt and pepper to taste. At the end add the Parmesan cheese. You can sprinkle some more cheese on the served risotto.

My Favorite Five Le Creuset Dutch Oven Recipes
Enameled Cast Iron Cookware

Factory Reconditioned Tools Led Vizio